- Boomers are traditional. They consider introductions from friends and family (66 percent), getting to know one another during social activities (56 percent) or meeting at church/places of worship (45 percent) their preferred ways to meet potential partners. Only 18 percent said online dating.
- Common interests are important. 56 percent of single Boomers said the best way to find love or companionship was to participate in social activities, fitness classes and clubs. You just might meet your soulmate playing pickleball.
- They’re willing to move. Over one-third of Boomers said they would consider moving to a community that offers the opportunity for more social interaction and activities with single people their age. Del Webb communities have seen a rise in popularity of singles clubs over the past few years. Some clubs in communities across the country include: “Friendship & Singles,” “Flying Solo,” “Fun and Friendship” and “Sociable Singles.”
- Age matters. Single female Boomers want to date men their own age or just a few years older (76 percent) while the majority of men want a younger woman (63 percent). Case in point: Boomer women have eyes for George Clooney, with 26 percent naming him as their dream date. As for the men, Jennifer Aniston takes the cake at 23 percent.
- There are perks to being single. Not all single Boomers are looking to get married, with 38 percent reporting that they’re looking for a companion but not necessarily a spouse, and 36 percent reporting they’re not interested in dating at all. 81 percent of single Boomers say they enjoy the freedom to do what they want, when they want to do it. That freedom can be hard to give up!
The Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey polled 521 online single adults 50 years and older across the U.S. to identify social trends and preferences among this group. The survey was conducted online by Russell Research January 18 – 21, 2013. At a 95 percent confidence level, a margin of sample error of +/- 4.2% applies to the sample. Figures for gender, age and geography were weighted where necessary to match their actual proportions in the population.
About Del Webb
Del Webb is a national brand of PulteGroup, Inc. (NYSE: PHM). Del Webb is the pioneer in active adult communities and America’s leading builder of new homes targeted to pre-retirement and retiring boomers. Del Webb builds consumer inspired homes and communities for active adults ages 55+ who want to continue to explore, grow and learn, socially, physically and intellectually as they look forward to retirement. For more information on Del Webb, visit www.delwebb.com.